11.16.2010

MCW: Worst Sequel

Morpheus prepares to blow away Joel Silver and the slags at Fox
Surprise, surprise. This is something Hollywood excels at: damaging original works of art with sequels in order to capitalize on stupidity. McDonald toy tie-ins, DVD's, t-shirts, action figures, posters, and cheap schwag of all manner fill the isles of Wallyworld et al with tributes to bad cinema. If you don't know what I am talking about think "Twilight"; Hell there is even Twilight lipstick now. And when sequels alone arent bad enough? Then its on to 3D!

Good Movies that had Bad Sequels:

Jaws
The Sting
Rocky
Wall Street
Blues Brothers
Halloween
Nightmare on ELm Street
Men in Black
Grease
Lethal Weapon
Caddyshack
and my pick for most damaged movie:

The Matrix.

I won't be posting a clip from any of the lame ass sequels which i think i may have tried to watch (on TV, for free) but apparently slumped into a coma while doing so. The Matrix was a darkly gorgeous allegory for the increasingly oppressive state in which we find ourselves. It ended correctly; the heros triumph happens in the same way it has gone down in myths through the ages. Sequels remind me of dogs that return to their own puke: a slimy poor relation of a once delicious meal. Nuff said.

***********************************************************

Movie Clip Wednesday is a game that is open to all. To Play, visit Milk RIver Madman to find each week's assignment, then post your entry by wednesday.

12 Comments:

Blogger moi said...

Perfect. Both the follow-ups stank to high heaven, but that rave/orgy scene in Reloaded was the last straw for me. So the alternative to the evils of techno-control is . . . a Nia workout? When, oh when, will producers learn to leave a good thing alone? Sequels always turn out badly for everyone involved.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

If they tries to make a sequel to No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood.

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Methinks K9 should write film critiques in his spare time. Bark bark Howl!

I actually thought the first one was slow and stupid and the others came out post-boycott.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Karl said...

Good morning K9,

Sequels are what show the true intent of those in Hollywood. They have little to do with art and much to do about making money. All the aftermarket products are one of the things that have driven me away from films. I haven't seen any of the Matrix movies.

Enjoy your clip day!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Heff said...

Hey !!! Halloween II wasn't that bad !

7:47 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Love your list and agree 100%. Sequels were designed to suck the life out of good movies and put more $$ into the pockets of Hollywood.

Aunty's comment made me spit coffee out.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Roses said...

I loved your review! You're absolutely right, they produced two stinkers with Matrix 2 & 3. When will they learn?

10:48 AM  
Blogger Buzz Kill said...

Boy, everyone slammed the Matrix this week. I have to say that I wasn't really crazy about the first one because I had a tough time following the storyline. The sets and CGI in all of these movies were OK, so I can watch them if I have to. I will say that the worst on your list (besides Caddyshack 2 - which I selected) was the Sting 2. Jackie Gleason and Mac Davis - need I say more?

Happy MCW!

PS - What's the secret to putting a link in your comments? I'd like to start doing that.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Milk River Madman said...

What Buzz said. The Matrix is getting hammered and I couldn't be happier.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Love your list and agree with all of them! Sorry I was out of pocket today and didn't get to play along.

8:46 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

For someone who hates Hollywood, you seemed to have put up with a lot of bad sequels.

Michael Caine, who starred in Jaws III, got some ungodly amount of money for his efforts (if memory serves, about $5 million). He told reporters that he never actually saw the movie, but understands that it was really awful. "However," he added, "I've seen the house it built, and it's wonderful."

2:14 PM  
Blogger Karl said...

@ X. Dell: Gee, wish I would've known about that statement, it would've been perfect for my post on Jaws.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home