7.23.2008

selections from my image bank

i've taken*most* of the text off this post so i can have more images. updated 7/26

images are keeping me up at night. i troll through more images in a day than you can shake a stick at. its an addiction for which there is no rehab...and if there was, i wouldnt go. i bought a hard drive JUST to hold my library of eye candy. I've selected a few of my favorites to leave with you while i am in San Francisco (land of fruits and nuts) for the next week or so. none of these are my own work. it is all stolen off the various design and art and culture places i routinely visit. Enjoy!









aren't these great? its the ian flemming/james bond series of paperback re-issues from Penguin. Looks like early 70's to me. I love these cover designs, they take on the look of those stylish intro sequences with dangerous and sexy women in silhouette. I cant find a reference to who designed those intros...is it marcel somebody??? Look at what they look like now: design has suffered in the last 2 decades...but i see a revival of hand drawing, and more analog techniques sort of killing off these kinds of hideous cut and paste disasters. This book cover is pitiful. i wouldnt buy this if i knew there were free cake batter ice cream tickets inside. grherhhaha


while looking around for something to post for last weeks mute monday on science, i came across these vintage paintings of the planets. i wish there had been enough images to post on the solar system but there wasnt. and no artist name either. here's mars:





















looks like they are preparing tonights sushi special.... this ought to be a sweet little wake up call for the haters that think they never hurt anything since they dont eat "meat".

i love this just like i loved the FedEx carrier pigeon commercial if you haven't seen that video, treat yourself to a first class advertisement by clicking that link.



do you think it is possible to publish a magazine with a cover similar to this now? it cracks me up. its like true love pulp type romance gone very wrong in the post technological age. look at the army in the background....the colonization process has begun!  "we'll hang you men, and take your women!!! says "vlad the space impaler"  grrrherhahaha. "slaves to the metal horde" i like the sound of that!
compelling and terrifying. a lovely combination.

Labels: , , , , , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

Another very cool look in to your complex and subtle mind...I like it there.

5:25 PM  
Blogger roxanne s. sukhan said...

nice ... enjoy your time on the west coast.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Big Shamu said...

Sally Mann ROCKS. Met her many moons ago when At Twelve had just come out. Sigh.

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eclectic
& stimulating

trippy & fun, again

/t.

8:42 PM  
Blogger moi said...

I am inspired every single time I come here. Wow. Now, I'm off to go dig up my old 33s and check out the classic cover art. You are so right about albums. We have lost that tactile/visual connection to our music. And what about smell? Remember the smell when you first opened a record?

Anyhoo. Have fun in San Fran. I'll miss you!

4:57 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

iamnot: the kindest comment ever. thank you.

frizzy: hey there...you all settled in?? the left coast you mean? grrrerhahaha. i am going to Marin county...even worse!! but thank you.

big shamu: she really is. i loved the set of photos from her back yard too...the laundry drying, the little dog...i always thought the controversy about the childrens photos was curious considering the culture at large. please!

/t: thanks. you might like to see all the letterpress art i have collected. i thought you might enjoy the dali woman.

moi: thanks and i agree. and though some CD's have art pieces inside (and beck's actual CD's have interesting surfaces) i rarely buy an actual physical CD anymore. i download.

im leaving sunday morning. for muir beach. should be interesting............

5:28 AM  
Blogger NYD said...

I just really like coming here.

Thanks.

7:38 AM  
Blogger h said...

Eclectic and stimulating and fun. And educational enough to revisit.

Throw a brick at Mayor Newsom for me. If he's not available just toss a brick at someone randomly. Odds are it will hit an azzhole in SF.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I just never know what to expect when I come here - this is just amazing.. too many fabulous images to comment on, but I'll say the Racoon is my initial fav... and the white cat on the glass.

Enjoy SF! It's one of my most places in the country to spend time. You can walk everywhere and the public transportation is great.

9:24 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

nyd: thank you!! i enjoy my visits to your page too!

i could do a whole page on japanese cute. i wish i could come over there and just buy a bunch of cheap schwag. i go to a shop called morning glory all the time - and just look at the "stuff" from japan. i love their design.

trolly: uh i think i will have my hands full just trying to avoid death by illegal criminals. grrrerhahaha. actually, i am going out to SF to marry a bottle-nosed porpoise. no one will judge me there. grrrrrrrherhahaha. seriously, my friend is an uber lib. and we always get into it...but i am going to act like i drank obama kool-aid and see what happens. grrrrrrherhhahaha!!

Anonymous boxer: i put some new pics up and will still add stuff until i leave. the mammoth post!!! i wont actually be in SF i will be north in muir beach
but thank you!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I love the new ones. Happy EEESTER little Girl! Bwahahah - I still have some of the other Bunny ones you put up for a MM. I hope you make this a regular post.... the pictures combined with your commentary is like visiting the coolest art gallery.... EVER.

Maybe you'll get one day in the Big City?

12:42 PM  
Blogger American Hill BIlly said...

Hey,

Your a cool chick!

Uh???, I Haven't responded very well to any comments; yet. I will when I can.

I took a little trip too. Anyways when I can get them up I'll show you some interesting pictures. Where I'm at you can see if you have track back. You sound like you are well prepared person; I betting you can see where I am?? Maybe.

Oh, and YOU are welcome to any of the pictures I have up.

6:16 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

quite the collection you got there. i do believe the woman on top is my favorite ..

7:33 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

Have fun in Frisco. Try Alliota's down by the wharf if you get a chance. Great sea food.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Panday said...

"Design won't save the world..."

LOL, I love that one.

12:42 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

I find it very ironic that my laptop was out of commission until this moment and I felt so out of whack...like a slave to a metal horde. :) Lovely images, pooch.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

what's this dog? you'll be in my neck of the woods? you ARE in my neck of the woods? get in touch - let's have lunch.

flap/flap/flap - SQUAWK!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Edith said...

The first thing reminds me about my aunt that would cut out parts from the magazines and make masks out of them. I love looking at all of your ideas!

12:04 AM  
Blogger h said...

THE SQUIRRELS! THE HORROR, THE HORROR! They're back!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Ruela said...

Fantastic images
it's you
the smoking girl? ;)))

11:07 AM  
Blogger Ed & Jeanne said...

I almost couldn't resist a snarky comment for every one of these pictures...but somehow I contained myself.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Indeed, like a tour through a museum. Love it!

Have fun on the west coast.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Enemy of the Republic said...

I assume a portable harddrive as this is too good for flash.


That cat one should be entered into some contest or sold in some New York snooty gallery so that you can retire and travel the world on your yacht.

I wish I knew you up close and personal. What a mind.

4:39 PM  
Blogger X. Dell said...

This is a real treat. All of these were great fun.

BTW, I think you're probably right in that the James Bond covers were probably issued in the early-1970s. I say that because these are all Ian Flemming titles. Those written by other authors (e.g. Colonel Sun) aren't included. And the style is reminiscent of that period.

9:40 PM  
Blogger The Phosgene Kid said...

'sup?

4:48 PM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

I loved this post. Great images!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

the tu tu and the deer by the pick-up...heh.

Stop hidin'--we knows ya's back by now. Put up a new post, ya' blog-slacker!! (Smile)

4:21 PM  
Blogger Helene said...

Hellooooooooooooo my wonderful k9! I have missed your twisted ways! How about that Easter Bunny! OMG! lol

Hey any chance you will be in FL between the 10th and 18th of this month? Email me if so! I have to go pack up my old house for the move but would love to squeeze in some fun too! =]

xoxo

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quietly I exist.
Quietly I read.
Quietly I smile.
Quietly I miss.
Quietly I enjoy.
Quietly I see.
Quietly I remember.
Quality, Quietness, Quirkiness.
Quaker Oats, Quake, Quack!!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger moi said...

"Slaves to the Metal Hordes" Goodness. I do believe I shall start a rock band with that very name!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Dr.Alistair said...

such images......the giant rubber ducky....the design won`t save the world.....i have stolen them in kind.

cheers.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home